Friday, May 25, 2012

Short term goals for the next 3 weeks

Next week I will be trying to remove some of the stuck on SDS from the surface of a deposited sample using a methanol soaking.  This step was recommended by the research scientist helping me with the etching process.  The idea would be to loosen and help the spreading out of the SDS in order that it does not create an etch mask on the surface of the silica.  I am not convinced that the spheres will remain in place during this process, but the worst that could happen is that the spheres became disordered and I know that it may make remove some of the SDS but at the cost of compromising the sphere locations.  I am hoping to etch again in the beginning of June using a different etch time and perhaps with smaller spheres.  We are getting close to the point where we will determine if this process will give us the surface we are looking for.  I anticipate that the answer to this question will be answered mid-June.  Memorial day weekend will be relaxing, only in the fact that I can spread out the work I hope to get done this weekend over three days instead of two, but still I am thankful for the holiday.  Everyone have a safe and enjoyable weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment